Author Topic: DSMX Technology - New DX6i version available  (Read 4787 times)

Offline TechDiver

DSMX Technology - New DX6i version available
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »
This technology probably won't affect me or many others out there, but I thought I'd share the new technology since you will start seeing it pretty soon.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/

This improves performance when you have many many people flying at the same time like at air shows.  

There is a new DX6i with DSMX modulation:  http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM6610

You will notice the DSMX logo:

HBFP V2 (CP3 DD, CNC tail, Carbon Fiber Tail Boom and Fin, Battery Tray, Fuse Mods, SuperBlades EZ & XP)

Offline KeithLDick

• Forum Service
  • LifeTime Gamer
    • LifeTime Gamer
Re: DSMX Technology - New DX6i version available
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
Actually it fixes the problems with the original Spektrum 2.4Ghz Technology that has caused a lot of crashes with DX & JR Tx's/Rx's and for those that have the original 2.4Ghz TX's & Rx's, They have to pay $75 to get their TX's upgraded and have to purchase new RX's in order to take advantage DSM-X unless they want to purchase the new TX's & RX's...

No win situation as I see it...

Offline TechDiver

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »
Actually it fixes the problems with the original Spektrum 2.4Ghz Technology that has caused a lot of crashes with DX & JR Tx's/Rx's and for those that have the original 2.4Ghz TX's & Rx's, They have to pay $75 to get their TX's upgraded and have to purchase new RX's in order to take advantage DSM-X unless they want to purchase the new TX's & RX's...

No win situation as I see it...

I saw the $75 upgrade available.  I wrote to see if the DX7 I have ordered will have the upgrade as I didn't see it listed in the DX7 specs.  Though it does show it on the DX6i, DX8, and DX10.  Surely they will not skip the DX7.

HBFP V2 (CP3 DD, CNC tail, Carbon Fiber Tail Boom and Fin, Battery Tray, Fuse Mods, SuperBlades EZ & XP)

Offline MGC

• http://www.youtube.com/user/amnesiadad?feature=mhum
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
I'm usually alone when I fly so no need for it here.

Solo-Pro, CB180D, 4G6, CX/Align500TT(fbl), 450 Pro, 250, Various planes, X1 quad....etc  DX7i       Clearview sim.

Offline HD883C

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
Im somewhat disappointed with Spektrum and the new dsmx because I just got a new dx6i on January 6th last month and now I would have to pay $75.00 to get the add on for my transmitter.  However they are refunding people who purchased a JR transmitter if they got their transmitter before November 1st, 2010 if they get the dsmx add on.
 :angryred: :angryred: :angryred:
Spectrum DX6i, Blade MSR, Blade mCP x, Parkzone UM T-29, Eflight UMX Beast, Eflight UMX Extra 300, Hitec Aurora 9, Parkzone Radian Pro, Esky Belt CP-V2

Gene T

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
I suspect the folks who bought the JR paid a lot more than $75 more for their transmitters.

Offline KeithLDick

• Forum Service
  • LifeTime Gamer
    • LifeTime Gamer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
From what I heard today from one of Our Jet guys that spends tons of money on this stuff every store is being notified to stop selling the older JR's & Spektrums...

I can't confirm this yet but he and a few others at our field have the Phone Numbers for these companies that one call and things get done for them so I have no reason to doubt what he's saying...

Gene T

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
Keith, did you find something on the net where Spektrum (or somebody else) say that DSMX fixes Spektrum signal problems? Got a link you can share? You got me real curious.

Edit. Ok I guess you were answering while I was typing.

Gene T

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
Keith, do you know if the inside word says that DSM2 is getting a fix and that's why they are pulling all current transmitters, or if you have to have DSMX  and DSMX receivers in order to see a fix for the loss of control  that some people are seeing?

Offline ph678

• MOTM Award
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
Just ordered a new dx6i dsmx tx/rx combo today to future proof myself! I'm sure that spektrum are doing this to battle against the cheap orange rx clones that are out there. The new technology will be alot harder to clone i'm sure. I don't personally run the orange rx's as i don't want to take that chance that
they might lose signal. I know alot of people have had great success with them but i'll always use genuine spektrum kit with all my birds as i've spent alot of dosh gettin them to where i like them!
trex 250 pro (snappy) trex 550 (the beast) parkzone spitfire, umx beast x 2, t28 Trojan micro

heli_crasher

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
lets see if i understand this. they are going to force us to upgrade ? i just got my new dx6i not 3 months ago or so. and now will have no choice but to upgrade ? feels like they just took a dump on customers.

if this is the case i think i am going to return the radio and by a futaba or something else. i dont think i wanna keep suporting a company that does things like this.

Offline TechDiver

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
lets see if i understand this. they are going to force us to upgrade ? i just got my new dx6i not 3 months ago or so. and now will have no choice but to upgrade ? feels like they just took a dump on customers.

if this is the case i think i am going to return the radio and by a futaba or something else. i dont think i wanna keep suporting a company that does things like this.

You do not have to upgrade.  The newest Bind N Fly aircraft are still using non DSMX receivers.  It would only become a problem if you buy BNF aircraft and they stop using DSM2 receivers, but you still have the option to install your own receiver. 

Offline TechDiver

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »

Gene T

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
lets see if i understand this. they are going to force us to upgrade ? i just got my new dx6i not 3 months ago or so. and now will have no choice but to upgrade

That's jumping to a lot of conclusions all at once. As TechDiver said, you do not need to upgrade. In fact, YOU NEVER have to upgrade. IN FACT, they are even suggesting that most people SHOULD NOT upgrade. That's right, read any of the Spektrum pages regarding DSMX and they keep saying it solves a problem MOIST PEOPLE DON'T HAVE. And as such, most people do not need to upgrade.

The DSMX transmitters and Receivers are fully backward compatible meaning you can buy a DXMS transmitter and only fly DSM2 receivers. AND you can buy DSMX receivers but never buy a DSMX transmitter, stick with a up till now current DX6i or DX7.

As near as I can tell, DSMX is exactly the same as DSM2. The only difference is that in DSM2, the TX and RX choose two open channels and stick with them no matter what. While in DSMX, during link negotiation, if both TX and RX support DMSX, then they agree to frequency hop. That is, they choose two open channels and keep changing them so that if anything ever happens to a channel or two (interference, or a misbehaving radio jumping on an occupied channel) then you are never affected because they TX and RX just hop away to a nice channel.

Offline Wayne

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
That is correct, DSMx was made to be DSM2 compliant so that you can use the new RX with the old TX.  I can tell you it works perfectly fine as I just put a DSMx RX on my 250 and bound it to my old DX7.  I would like to get the DSMx upgrade to my TX though because I like to fly at IRCHA and other big events, but I never had problems there yet.
I don't always fly a good gyro, but when I do, I prefer Vbar...Stay inverted my friends!

eFlite MSR, HBFPv2, Align 250, HK450GT, EXI 450, EXI 500, Raptor 30